Tourism in the Dordogne
Places to visit in the Dordogne
What is there to see and do in the Dordogne?
Top 5 things to do near the campsite in Douville:
- Lascaux II cave at 78 km: the most famous prehistoric cave.
- Château de Castelnaud at 63 km : You like the Middle Ages, the knights ? many animations which will transport you in the medieval atmosphere of this fortress of the XIIIth century.
- Musée national de la Préhistoire : 44 km away, this museum is a must in the region, with its very realistic reconstructions of prehistoric men and extinct animals.
- L’Oustal du Périgord: Museum of arts and traditions, a real immersion in the daily life of the Périgord farmers.
- Gouffre de Proumeyssac, 40 km away, the largest chasm in the Dordogne.
Things to do in the Dordogne
- Visit of the Aquarium du Périgord Noir at 37 km from the campsite, more than 6000 fish are waiting for you.
- Day trip to the Parc le Bournat at 37 km: Reconstruction of a typical Périgord village from the 1900s as if you were there.
- Canoeing along beautiful rivers, on the Dordogne, on the Vézère, on the island or on the Dronne
- Hiking: The “sentier des Meulières”, the “Boucle des ponts”, or the “Roches enchantées”, are beautiful walking paths for families or friends.
- Swimming: lakes, rivers, water sports centres and other bodies of water: there is no shortage of days suitable for swimming in the Dordogne.
The most beautiful villages of the Dordogne
The Dordogne is a department where many listed villages amaze visitors.
Here is a small selection of the most interesting villages to visit:
- La Roque-Gageac: an exceptionally well preserved medieval village.
- Limeuil: if you like rivers and stone bridges.
- Domme: this beautiful Dordogne village is home to the Domme cave, a must-see!
- Belvès : Check out the Place des Armes, and enjoy the breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside.
- Monpazier: visit the bastide town of Monpazier and take time to stroll through the narrow streets.
There are also many towns to visit during your stay at camping Lestaubière in the Dordogne, such as Bergerac and Périgueux.